I've been traveling since I was 11 months old and weirdly enough I love to pack for vacations. Over the years, I've learned a few things that I'm going to share with you.
1. Never wait till the last minute. The chances of forgetting something is very high
2. Make an on going list on you phone when you remember something like those special pair of earrings that will go with a certain dress you're dying to wear
3. Pack the basics like your favorite white tshirt, little black dress, comfortable walking shoes, and a great pair of pants.
4. Wear your heaviest clothes so you can fit more in your luggage while staying under the weight requirement. Things like jeans, coats, sweatshirts, and sneakers are the heaviest
5. Plan outfits by days or events. These outfits don't need to be set indefinitely but it's good to have an idea of what you want to wear.
6. Pack more than enough underwear/ undergarments. Who knows if you'll get a chance to get them washed so plan ahead.
7. Buy traveling containers so you can travel with you favorite beauty products. Most traveling containers are made to size requirements where as original packaging on your favorite face lotion might be a few ounces over weight to fit into your carry on
8. Don't forget the bug spray, sunblock, umbrella, or second coat depending on where you're going to vacation. These little things go a long way. It's also great when you don't have to pay double or even triple the prices in a foreign place.
9. This goes back to tip 5. When creating outfits to wear. Make sure that piece of clothing can be worn with multiple other things.
10. Pack a few extra plastic bags. This is great for putting dirty laundry in, a way to cover up a bag on a rainy day, nausea, wet clothes, shoes, etc.
11. Roll don't fold. Rolling up your clothes takes up much less room than folding does.
12. Write a name tag with your address on the luggage just in case it gets lost. Also keep the check in barcode with you until you pick up your luggage. Taking a picture of your suitcase can also come in handy
13. Put jewelry or any breakable items in the center of the suitcase and wrap it with clothes
14. If your traveling during a rainy or winter months there's a chance of water leaking into your bag. I sometimes put a large plastic sheet inside the suitcase before I start putting other items in.