As I get a little older, I get wiser with how I apply makeup on, style my hair, and take care of my skin. Over the last few years, I have gotten some of the best advice from professional hair and makeup artists. I have also learned through trail and error, what truly works and what does not. Today I’m sharing my 27 beauty secrets with you below. I know there will be a few you didn’t know about before! Share some of your tips below in the comments as well.
1.Inner beauty- glowing skin means having skin that is well hydrated. We spend so much time applying creams but it truly starts with getting enough water. I start (almost) every morning with a huge cup of hot water and lemon. You’ll see a big difference in your glow if you get a solid 64 ounces/ 8 cups of water a day.
2. Skin- always use cold water to wash your face! Yes, even in the cold winter months. The hot water really dries out the skin. So if you want to keep your skin smooth and silky, only turn the cold water on.
3. Skin- always pat and never pull. This rule of thumb goes all the way from drying your face with a towel to applying skin products on!
4. Skin- Always apply products on your face, neck, and chest in an upwards motion! Best way to apply serum and creams are by warming them the product up by rubbing your hands together. Then lightly patting them into your skin.
5. Skin- Apply under eye cream and concealer only using your ring finger in a light dabbing motion. Do not pull and tap too hard. The skin under your eyes are the thinnest layer of skin on your entire body. I love the Innisfee Jeju Orchid Eye Cream!
6. Skin- I am sure you’ve heard this one before but sunscreen is key! Apply it multiple times a day and all throughout the year (not just the summer). I love this spray version for when my makeup is already on and I don’t want to ruin it.
Protect your skin from blue light too! It’s even more harmful than UV light. I’m currently using Lumivive system from Skin Medica
8. Skin- Ever wonder why Asians have such beautiful skin? Probably because they have a seven step system that is preventative and repairing! the general order of products are
Toner- Renewing Water- Serum- Emulsion- Oil- Eye Cream- Face Cream - Sunscreen
I’ve been loving the Sulwhasoo collection! It leaves my skin feeling so moisturized and with the best glow ever. The packaging is beautiful, products smell great, and feels great on the skin. The products are lightweight so it doesn’t feel heavy when it is on the skin either.
9. Skin- If you’re wondering, “how do I know what to apply to my face first?”, well the general rule of thumb is: apply the most lightweight product on first. For example, toners are usually water based so they should be applied on first. Creams are heavier so they should be applied later/ last.
10. Running out of your favorite mascara?
No problem! Drop in a dollop of face oil or saline water in the tube and swish it around. This will give the remaining product a longer life.
11. Mascara- want to make lashes look thicker?Apply your first coat of mascara then dab a makeup brush into translucent powder and apply it on your lashes. Then apply your second coat of mascara.
12. Want to lighten up that heavy foundation you purchased?
Mix a dollop of foundation with a dollop of your light moisturizer and mix it together then apply it on your skin.
13. Makeup- want to makeup last longer? Keep them refrigerated in your kitchen refrigerator. If i ever buy makeup on sale to stock up, i leave it in the fridge till it’s time to use it.
14. Concealer- To make your concealer last longer and give the effect of a full coverage cover, apply concealer in your desired area and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I apply concealer under my eyes in a triangle shape. While you are letting your concealer sit, do your eye makeup or contour. Once your time is up, blend with a beauty blender.
15. Want to make your eye shadow color pop?
Simple- apply a white eye pencil as the base. This will make any color more vibrant.
16. Foundation- Beauty blender is your best makeup friend. If you haven’t tried it, you need to right now. Make sure to dampen the sponge before use
Does your under eye concealer crease?Well I’ve got a solution! After you use concealer, apply translucent powder with a makeup brush. This makes a hugeeee difference and it also helps make the look feel more natural.
18. Eyes- want the perfect winged eye shadow look? Well it’s super simple! Before applying foundation or concealer, apply a piece of scotch tape from your outer eye corner to your eyebrow. Then apply your desired eye shadow. I even apply my liquid eyeliner before I remove the tape for an extra precise line. Remove the tape slowly and wah-lah! I personally prefer double sided tape because it collects the eye shadow fall out.
- Want to make your lips look bigger? There are a few tricks.
First, contour. Apply darker contour cream around your upper and lower lip corners. Blend out with a brush.
Second, slightly over line your lips with an pencil. Don’t go overboard though.
19. Eyes- If you have smaller shaped eyes like me, there’s a secret to give the illusion of a bigger eye. Apply a white or light colored eye pencil on your lower eyelid and/ or waterline. It’s a super simple trick that automatically opens the eye up.
21. Eyebrows- Don’t always use the same product on your eyebrows on a daily basis. Mix up the kind of products you use so your eyebrow hairs don’t fall out. For example mix up using a brow pencil, brow gel, and brow powder on a weekly basis.
22. Want to get the perfect shaped brows? It’s much easier than you may think. Use your eyebrow pencil and nose as a guide. First, put your pencil straight from the corner of your nose – this is where your eyebrows should start. Second, tilt the pencil to a 45 degree angle- this is where the highest point (arch) of your eyebrow should be. Third, tilt the pencil even more to a 75 degree angle. The pencil should hit the outer corner of your eyes. This point is where your eyebrow shape should end.
23. To have flawless eyebrows all day long, apply a clear coat on top of your brows with a spooli. If you don’t have a clear brow gel, use a mascara instead.
24. Fragrance – Did you know there are 8 spots where you should apply your perfume?
Spritz a little into your hair
Behind the ears
On your collarbones
In the inside crease of your elbows
On your wrists
In the bend of your knees
25. What beachy waves for real? When hair is damp, take sections of hair and twirl the section with your fingers. Think of your finger as a curling iron. Apply a little hairspray all over once finished
26. Want to keep your straight hair looking nice for a few days? No problem, sleep with a silk scarf around your hair. This prevents your hair from getting curly and/ or static issues.
27. Have greasy hair or hair that gets oily quickly? Look out for shampoo and conditioners with citrus. This helps break up the oils.
Thank you for reading!!
Photography by Ashley Gallerani
*I get commission for purchases made through links in this post*